Delirium (Delirium Trilogy #1)


on

No comments

**Ok, soI I know I already reviewed Pandemonium (Delirium #2), but this is an old review; I didn't have a blog then.


"Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love."

Rating: 5/5 stars
Love stories tend to go corny, feeling like it is a repeating of mantras you've heard in every single book about love since you were little, or they can feel distant, unreal in a way you could never relate to them .. 

.. Or in the case of Derilium they could go beautifully. One word was on my mind as I read this book, classy. The love scenes, the way the characters speak to each other is rich. Not once through the book have I stopped and said "well that's a bit of a cliche." Also he rate in which the characters and their relationships develop is perfect. I actually fell in love with the characters, each and every one of them. From Gracie to Hana to Lena and, ofcourse Alex. I am one who tends to look for flaws in a character I'm reading, and while the characters do actually have flaws, it makes all the more better. All the more believable.


Lena, the main character is a bit shy, and insecure. And while this might seem an attempt for the author to create a blank character so readers would find themselves easily relating to her , her personality does have a backbone. She's strong and capable, and as you read along, you find she has justifications for the way she is and the way she feels about herself. Moreover, she is fierce. Fierce enough to develop as a character throughout the novel. The secondary characters in her life are not just thereto be there. They have a personality, and past. Grace was definitely one of my favourtie characters in the Tiddle household. One of the characters that stuck with me though, was her aunt, Carol. I found her very intruiging. She's been cured and so is incapable of being the sympathetic, loving guardian Lena should have. She is, for the most part, cold, and distant somehow. But I always thought there is another side to her, one that was before she had the procedure. This is how it is with the books, most of the characters are three-dimensional and they have so many aspects to them that you can feel like talking about them for hours and hours. Hana, was also one of my absolute favourites. Mostly because she doesn't fall into any genre. 



I should correct myself however that this is not just a love story. Farthest from being focused on just one genre. It's a dystpoian, for sure, but it has somehow a new flavour to the dystopian genre. You might find yourslef justifying people's need for a cure from love in a moment, and another resenting the government from preventing people to fall inlove. That's what this novel is all about, it makes you think all while you're reading it. You could almost believe how people might believe that love is, infact a disease. The novel emphasizes the value of love, friendship, and bravery.




I found myself overwhelmed by this novel, and I just couldn't put it down. I was hooked to the world Lauren Oliver created, and it reminded me of how it felt reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I am absoloutely love this book, and I thank God I have Pandemonium or else I'm sure I would've gone crazy trying to figure out what happens.

Leave a Reply